Jose “Joel” De Ocampo, MD has been a practicing board certified neurologist for nearly two decades. After completing his education at the De La Salle University medical school in 1992, he went on to finish his Internal Medicine internship at The Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh.
Dr. De Ocampo was the Chief Resident in Neurology at Allegheny General Hospital (formerly affiliated with Hahnemann University). He was accepted at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center where he completed a full year as a Fellow in Cerebrovascular Diseases.Wishing to expand his expertise, he went on to the
Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston for another Fellowship year in Neurophysiology learning how to evaluate and treat epilepsy and neuromuscular diseases. This was followed by a third Fellowship year studying and researching Sleep Disorders at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Cleveland, OH.
The American Board of Medical Specialties recognizes his expertise in the Specialties of Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology, Neuromuscular Disorders, and Sleep Medicine. He is also preparing for certification in Vascular Neurology.
He has been published in neurology journals and has participated in numerous clinical trials in stroke, sleep medicine and even multiple sclerosis. He has given numerous lectures on a variety of neurological disorders such as migraine, Alzheimer’s dementia, and stroke.
He was the medical director of The Sleep Center at Oaktree Medical Centre (2001-2005) and The Sleep Center at Southwest Neuroscience Institute in affiliation with Scottsdale Neurological Consultants (2006-2009) where he was also Attending Physician. He continues to serve as a Board of Director at Independence National Bank in South Carolina.
Dr. De Ocampo moved to Scottsdale, Arizona in 2006 and established the Arizona Neurology and Sleep Center in 2010.
- American Board of Psych & Neurology – Neurology
- American Board of Psych & Neurology – Clinical Neurophysiology
- American Board of Psych & Neurology – Sleep Medicine
- American Board of Psych & Neurology – Neuromuscular Disorders
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine – Sleep Disorders
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties – Headache Medicine
- Phoenix Magazine – Top Doctors 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Findatopdoc.com – Top Doctor 2017
- Phoenix Super Doctors – 2012, 2013, 2014
- International Association of Healthcare Professionals – Top Neurologist in Scottsdale, AZ
- Consumers’ Research Council of America- America’s Top Physician 2011
- Member, American Academy of Neurology
- Member, American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Member, American Headache Society
- Member, Narcolepsy Foundation
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, Arizona Neurological Society
- Staff, Scottsdale Healthcare System (Shea, Thompson Peak)- Top 5 Hospital in Arizona (US News)
- Staff, Banner Baywood Medical Center – Top 5 Hospital in Arizona (US News)
- Board of Directors, Independence National Bank
- Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurology -The University of Arizona, College of Medicine -Phoenix